United suffered defeat in the Buildbase FA Trophy after an event-filled match against National League side Boreham Wood.

A hat-trick from Boreham Wood striker Justin Shaibu sent the Wood through to the next round but that didn’t tell the whole story. United were reduced to ten men in the 38th minute when Ruairi Keating was shown a straight red card. Kyle Cameron was also dismissed in extra-time after being shown two yellow cards.

The match was played in freezing and very wet conditions. Thank you to the members of the Yellow Army that supported the lads!

Manager Gary Johnson made three changes to the team that beat Welling United at Plainmoor seven days ago. Shaun MacDonald reclaimed his place in goal after Alex Bass’ return to Portsmouth. Jamie Sendles-White returned to the starting eleven along with Asa Hall. Young striker Olaf Koszela made his first start for Torquay United.

An early chance fell for Jamie Reid who caught the Wood a little cold in the opening minutes of the match His turn and shot went past the far post. Ruairi Keating was allowed some time and space to step inside and get a shot away wth his left foot that had Boreham Wood’s goalkeeper Ryan Huddart diving to his left.

Asa Hall sent a stooping header just wide of the far post from a Jake Andrews free-kick in the 9th minte.

Sorba Thomas had Boreham’s first effort after a kick from Shaun MacDonald was intercepted. Luckily Ben Wynter came up with a block.

Jamie Reid struck an effort on target in the 18th minute after the ball went loose just outside the area. Huddart was equal to his effort but by this stage United were certainly the team on the front foot.

Olaf Koszela sent an effort over the bar after a cutback from Kalvin Kalala. Koszela had little time to adjust his body for a clean effort on goal. Another awkward chance fell to him moments later that ended up going wide of goal.

Asa Hall sent an effort over the bar in the 32nd minute trying to catch Ryan Huddart off his line.

United were then reduced to ten men after Ruairi Keating received a straight red card for a challenge on Boreham Wood captain Mark Ricketts. Manager Gary Johnson moved Olaf Koszela to the right to fill in the gap with Jamie Reid left up front on his own. United were left to keep the Wood at bay until the half-time break.

Gary Johnson chose to replace Olaf Koszela with Saikou Janneh at half-time. It didn’t take him long to make an impact.

After United had recycled the ball from a corner, Asa Hall sent an inviting ball across goal for Saikou Janneh to find the back of the net. An instant impact from the young Bristol City loanee.

Jamie Sendles-White did well to divert a low powerful effort on goal over the bar in the 54th minute.

United were doing a very good job of frustrating Boreham Wood, picking when to go forward, and when to keep their shape. It was all the more frustrating when Boreham Wood robbed United of possession and sent Justin Shaibu one-on-one against MacDonald. He was able to find the net to make it 1-1.

United were still doing a very good job of picking their opportunities when to press the Wood. They thought they had got behind Boreham’s backline in the 74th minute but up went the offside flag.

Jamie Reid tested Huddart once again in the 78th minute when his chop back to his left foot allowed him to shoot on goal. His shot made Huddart dive to his left to keep his effort out. Asa Hall was close to sealing an impressive move from United from the edge of the box a few minutes later.

Liam Davis and Asa Hall worked an opportunity between them but Hall sent his effort across goal and wide of the far post.

The ball then broke for United with not much time left of the original 90 minutes. Jamie Reid was free inside the box. Ben Wynter’s cross stood up a little high and Reid sent a great chance over the bar. It was a chance to seal the match.

United were caught in the 6th minute of extra-time on time. Sorba Thomas did the hard work down Boreham’s left, and his ball found Justin Shaibu whose low powerful shot beat Shaun MacDonald to make it 2-1. It was harsh on United.

Boreham Wood passed up a good opportunity in added on time in the first half of extra-time. Kieran Murtagh shot tamely when well placed to make the game safe.

Kyle Cameron received his second yellow card of added on time in the 108th minute. He was dismissed after the referee judged he obstructed Justin Shaibu on his way to goal.

Shaibu completed his hat-trick in the 23rd minute of added on time. United had been finally overwhelmed through sheer numbers.

The Yellow Army were left to imagine what would have happened if United had been allowed to keep eleven players on the pitch in a game that they largely controlled.

BWFC: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh (Parry 117’), Ash (Shaibu 57’), Fyfield, Thomas, UgwuSubs not used: Burbidge, Smith, Ndiaye

Booked: Shakes 28′, Ash 42

TUFC: 1 Shaun MacDonald, 2 Ben Wynter, 3 Liam Davis, 6 Sendles-White, 7 Ruairi Keating, 8 Asa Hall [4 George Essuman 98′], 12 Olaf Koszela [10 Saikou Janneh HT], 17 Kyle Cameron (c), 18 Jake Andrews [15 Jean-Yves Koue Niate 73′] 19 Jamie Reid, 20 Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala [Lemonheigh-Evans 57′] SUBS NOT USED: 13 George Burton,

Booked: Cameron 93′ & 108′, Niate 105′

Red Card: Ruairi Keating 38′, Kyle Cameron 108′

Referee: R. Hulme

Attendance: 207