United come back from Yorkshire with a point to their name after a 1-1 draw at the Shay.

George Waring gave Halifax the lead in the 68th minute, but Jamie Reid equalized for united in the 75th.

Head coach Gary Owers made one change to the side that were knocked out of the FA Cup to Aldershot seven days ago. Norwich loanee defender Michee Efete came in to the starting eleven with midfielder Damon Lathrope taking a place on the bench.

United lined in a in 3-4-1-2 formation with Michee Efete, Josh Gowling, and Sean McGinty making up the back three. Callum Evans partnered Luke Young in midfield with Liam Davis and Ryan Higgins wide. Josh McQuoid played behind Jamie Reid and Rhys Murphy up front.

The first half was fairly open. There was time and space to play, but neither team could take advantage until later in the half.

Halifax had the earliest chance. Tomlinson beat one man and tried to receive a return pass inside United’s penalty box, but the ball was a bit too far in front of him.

United found their feet over the next ten minutes and their passes were positive, quick, and clean. Josh McQuoid was finding the time and space as a result of the formation change.

Rhys Murphy threatened to pull the trigger as he advanced on Halifax’s goal in the 23rd minute, but he was crowded out at the last second.

United were then appealing when Halifax goalkeeper Sam Johnson looked to have collected the ball with his hands outside of his area. The referee did not blow his whistle.

Liam Davis continued his fine form since his return from injury. His low ball into the box was nearly flicked home by Ryan Higgins in the 34th minute.

The second shout United had for a penalty was in the 41st minute. Josh McQuoid went on a mazey run that ended inside the penalty area. Nothing given.

Just like the 1st half, United started the second brightly.

Murphy slipped one challenge to lay the ball off to Davis inside the penalty area. Davis was making up ground, and couldn’t steady himslef for a composed shot. He did make the ‘keeper save, and United got a corner.

United were playing most of their game in and just outside of Halifax’s penalty area. The final pass either going slightly astray, or Halifax were coming up with blocks and deflections.

Halifax took the lead against the run of play in the 68th minute. United failed to deal with a free-kick taken just a few yards into their own half. The Shaymen sent it long and it was recycled back into the box for George Waring to tap home from just a few yards out. United a little too deep, allowing Halifax to squeeze them back to their goal line.

United equalized thanks to a strike from Jamie Reid. A ball into the Shayman’s box was nodded onto the far post by McGinty. Reid was there to take a touch and fire low into the net. It was what United deserved after being the slicker attacking force in the second half.

Both sides pushed on for the win, but United threatened the most. A little more composure, and yes, a little more quality delivering the final ball would have paid dividends.

The weather was a factor too. The rain started at the beginning of the second half, and it did not stop, it only got heavier.

Halifax were the more dangerous of the two sides heading to the final whistle. The Yellow Army had to put up with a few scares, but United saw the game out to clinch a point and come off the bottom of the National League.

Torquay United: 30 Vincent Dorel (GK), 2 Michee Efete, 3 Liam Davis, 5 Sean McGinty, 6 Josh Gowling, 8 Luke Young, 12 Callum Evans, 13 Josh McQuoid, 19 Jamie Reid, 23 Ryan Higgins, 39 Rhys Murphy [10 Ruairi Keating 78′] Subs: 1 Ryan Clarke, 4 Damon Lathrope, 24, George Dowling, 27 Jennison Myrie-Williams

Booked: Reid 50′, Evans 85′

FC Halifax Town: 1 Sam Johnson, 2 Cliff Moyo, 3 Josh Wilde, 5 Matthew Brown (c), 6 Scott Garner, 7 Matty Kosylo, 8 Nathan Hotte, 10 Connor Oliver, 11 Scott McManus, 14 Ben Tomlinson [16 Adam Morgan 59′], 38 George Waring Subs: 13Tom Nicholson, 12 David Lynch, 18 Danny Clarke, 19 Liam King

Booked: Brown 64′, Wilde 75′