Torquay United 7
Janneh 7′ & 21′, Reid 23′ & 79′, Andrews 35′, 42′ & 58′

Oxford City 2
Ashby 68′, Tshimanga 71

United bounced back from their 3-2 defeat to Bath last Saturday with an emphatic 7–2 win over Oxford City at Plainmoor.

Fielding an unchanged side, it was United who started the game the better of the two teams, as they dominated the early proceedings and pushed for an early breakthrough.

The first clear-cut chance of the match fell the way of the Gulls in the 5th minute, as Liam Davis powered down the left and beat a succession of Oxford defenders before dragging his shot just wide of the far post.

United though didn’t have to wait long before drawing first blood. In the 7th minute, Jamie Sendles-White’s clearance found Reid, who beat the oncoming defender. His shot was well saved by Craig King in the Oxford goal, however he could not gather the loose ball and the rebound was converted by Saikou Janneh to make it 1-0 to United.

The only negative on the day occurred in the 20th minute, with Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala picking up an ankle injury. Ruari Keating took up his role on the right wing, and it didn’t take long for the Irishman to make an impact.

United doubled their lead in the 21st minute. A cross from Jamie Sendles-White’s found Keating at the far post, and his header back across goal left Janneh time to tap home from close range for his second of the afternoon. United were up and running and would punish the City defence again three minutes later. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans made a decisive interception in the centre of midfield and found striker Jamie Reid, who duly slotted it past King to make it 3-0.

Oxford were unlucky not to get one back in the 30th minute after a Joe Oastler header was cleared off the line by  Keating from a corner. It was though just brief respite in what was becoming almost one-way traffic, and more goals were to follow.

United got their fourth of the afternoon in the 35th minute direct from a corner. Jake Andrews’ in swinging delivery managed to beat the entire crowd of bodies in the penalty area and found the net courtesy of a strong wind. A rare feat in any football match, but one that the Yellow Army were delighted to witness.

Andrews got his second in the 42nd minute after some clever play down the right wing from Jamie Reid allowed him room to cross into the 18-yard box. His cross was inch perfect, finding Andrews at the far post who found the back of the net with a firm volley. 5-0 to United and the referee’s whistle to signal half-time brought a standing ovation from the Plainmoor faithful.

To their credit, the visitors started the second period well, and nearly pulled a goal back in the 52nd minute, with Kabongo Tshimanga’s long range strike forcing Shaun MacDonald into making a tidy save in the messy conditions.

In the 58th minutes Jake Andrews claimed his hat-trick in some style. Some neat play down the left from Conner Lemonheigh-Evans saw the Welshman jink his way into the box, and his low cross was back-heeled into the net from close range by his fellow Bristol City loanee to make it 6-0.

Facing a constant threat of further damage, Oxford did add some respectability to the score line with two goals inside three minutes. In the 68th minute, Josh Ashby curled in a lovely shot past MacDonald after some good work from former United substitute Bobson Bawling inside the box. Then Tshimanga used his pace to sprint past the United defence and drive his low shot past MacDonald and reduce the arrears further. 6-2 if you’re keeping count.

United were determined to have the last say with Reid’s second of the day. With his back to goal, Janneh fed United sub Opi Edwards, who unselfishly teed up United’s top scorer to round off an afternoon of immense entertainment for the Yellow Army.

It was just the result and performance United needed, as the Gulls put last week’s disappointment behind them and extended their lead at the top of the National League South table.

TUFC: 1 Shaun MacDonald (GK), 2 Ben Wynter, 3 Liam Davis, 6 Jamie Sendles-White, 8 Asa Hall © (16 Ryan Dickson 62’), 10 Saikou Janneh, 11 Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, 17 Kyle Cameron, 18 Jake Andrews (12 Opanin Edwards 71’), 19 Jamie Reid, 20 Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala (7. Ruari Keating 20’) SUBS NOT USED: 13 George Burton, 15 Jean-Yves Koue Niate


Oxford City: 1. Craig King (GK), 2. Ryan Case, 3. Kyran Wiltshire, 4. Josh Ashby, 5. Tom Carter (14. Ben Barrett 80’), 6. Joe Oastler ©, 7. Zac McEachran, 8. Reece Fleet, 9. Kabongo Tshimanga, 10. Craig Fasanmade, 11. Jack Self (12. Bobson Bawling 55’) SUBS NOT USED: 13. Steven Card, 15. John Odonoghue

Bookings: Carter 48’, Wiltshire 76’ & Case 87’

Referee: Mark Howes

Attendance: 2,467 (47 away)