Woking 1

Kretzschmar 46’ pen

United 0

United suffered defeat to Woking at Plainmoor and dropped out of the Emirates FA Cup on a wet day at Plainmoor.

A penalty by Max Kretzchmar in the 46th minute was enough to send the Cards through.

TUFC manager Gary Johnson recalled fit-again Jake Andrews into his starting XI. Youth products Olaf Koszela and Josh Baxter took places on the bench.

United started off the game with on the front foot. Jean-Yves Koue Niate was first to a loose ball inside the box and drove it home  only for the linesman to raise his flag.

For the first 10 minutes United went close on a number of occasions and pressure was mounting. The deadlock looked to have been broken when a well timed through ball from Jake Andrews put Saikou Janneh one-on-one but again the lineman raised his flag.

Woking seemed to wake up after that and retaliated with a couple dangerous attacks. MacDonald saved with his legs rushing out to cut the angle down. A minute later the Cards found themselves in the box and United had Kyle Cameron to thank as he deflected a shot over the bar.

Kalvin Lumbumbo-Kalala took his man on and won the race to put a low ball into the box. Unfortunately is was just behind the incoming Jamie Reid whose shot went over the bar.

Jake Andrews then tested Woking’s ‘keeper Craig Ross from distance only for him to punch clear.

Some beautiful teamwork gave United their best chance of opening the scoring. Saikou Janneh’s run down the right wing picked out Ben Wynter. His first time ball came back of a Woking player, and his second found Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala whose volley flicked up off the pitch to test Ross’ agility.

Another decent chance came and went for United. Kalvin Lumbombo’s shot from just outside the box had Ross diving down to his left to keep it out. The ball came out and Jamie Reid’s reflex shot went over the bar.

United’s last chance to break the deadlock before half time came from Lemonheigh-Evans. The Bristol City loanee slalomed  through a few challenges but his shot failed to significantly test Ross.

United needed more of the same in the second half but a minute into the second half Woking were awarded a penalty. Jamar Loza beat his marker and worked his way into the box. Jean-Yves Koue Niate’s challenge appeared to have touched the ball. Niate was United’s last chance and the 25 year old Parisian got his body in front, tripping up the attacker for a spot kick. Max Kretzschmar cooly stepped up and sent MacDonald the wrong way.

Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala put through Saikou Janneh in one of United’s more promising attacks. Janneh was fouled inside the penalty box but the whistle had already gone for a foul on Lumbombo-Kalala.

A few minutes later Ryan Dickson fired in a cross which found Jamie Reid. His flick went over the bar; it was a difficult chance at the near post.

Youth product Olaf Koszela made his first team debut for United in the 87th minute coming on for Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala. It will be a moment he won’t forget, and the Yellow Army showed suitable encouragement to the 16-year-old striker.

United had a great chance to grab an equaliser ij the dying moments of the match. A goal line scramble presented United with several attempts at goal but unfortunately none of them found the back of the net. The pick of the bunch was an effort from Jamie Reid which was cleared off the line.

It wasn’t meant to be, but the support from the Yellow Army was fantastic on the day with just over two thousand in attendance.  United look to get back to winning ways against St Albans on Tuesday at Plainmoor.

TUFC: Shaun MacDonald (GK), 2. Ben Wynter, 3. Liam Davis, 10. Saikou Janneh (9. Brett Williams 82’), 11. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, 15. Jean-Yves Koue Niate, 16. Ryan Dickson, 17. Kyle Cameron ©, 18. Jake Andrews (7. Ruari Keating 64’), 19. Jamie Reid, 20. Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala (21. Olaf Koszela 87’) SUBS NOT USED: Jamie Sendles-White, 13. George Burton (GK), 22. Josh Baxter

Woking: Craig Ross (GK), 2. Nathan Collier, 3. Josh Casey ©, 4. Jack Cook, 5. Ben Gerring, 6. Charlie Hester-Cook (19. Ian Gayle 82’), 7. Toby Edser, 8. Armani Little, 9. Jake Hyde, 10. Max Kretzchmar, 11. Jamar Loza. SUBS: Duane Ofori-Acheampoing, 14. Paul Hodges, 15. Dan Spence, 16. Greg Luer, 17. Nicky Wheeler, 18. Berti Schotterl (GK)

Referee: Declan Bourne

Attendance: 2,419 (323)

Match Report by Zac Collard-Baker.